Natalia Dominelli

Spring 2024

Music – Ukulele

Blog #1 – January 16th

I have been practicing most of the basics for beginners learning to play the ukulele. I have been using a website I found called ukulelego.com, and there are so many resources to learn about the ukulele parts, string order, how to tune, and how to strum. There is also a great YouTube video called “Ukulele Practice Tips for Beginners” that I have been doing at the start of my practice sessions to get a good flow going. I am encouraged to continue my ukulele journey by exploring more advanced techniques and beginning to learn my chosen songs “Riptide” and “I’m Yours.” However, I am discouraged to rush the learning process, realizing that mastering the ukulele requires patience and consistent practice.

Blog #2 – February 20th

A month into my ukulele journey, I’ve become more confident with the basics, thanks to ukulelego.com and the “Yousician Ukulele” app that keeps me on track with a structured practice schedule. Patience is proving to be the key as I resist the urge to rush into advanced techniques. Focusing on foundation skills like strumming and smooth transitions between chords has been crucial. I’ve made significant progress with “Riptide” and am feeling comfortable with its chords, but I’m still fine-tuning my rendition of “I’m Yours.” Considering experimenting with the chunking technique to add a unique flair to my playing style.

Blog #3 – March 18th

Looking back on my journey with the ukulele, I’m truly amazed by the progress I’ve made in just a short time. It’s been an enriching experience, filled with discoveries and small victories along the way. The resources I’ve utilized, like ukulelego.com and the Yousician Ukulele app, have been like guiding lights, providing me with structured lessons and helpful tips to navigate through the basics. While I’ve managed to grasp many fundamental concepts, such as understanding the different parts of the ukulele and mastering basic strumming patterns, there’s still much to learn. One area where I’m particularly eager to improve is with advanced techniques like chunking. Despite not yet feeling fully confident with it, I’m determined to practice diligently, even taking advantage of opportunities to play on my roommate’s ukulele to broaden my skills. Through this journey, I’ve discovered a newfound passion for music and a deep appreciation for the ukulele as an instrument. It has become more than just a hobby; it’s a source of joy and fulfillment in my life. Looking ahead, I’m excited to continue honing my skills, exploring new techniques, and embracing the challenges that come my way, knowing that each step forward brings me closer to mastery and musical expression.

© 2024 Natalia Dominelli